Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One, Two, Three

Putting one foot in front of the other, that's how you move forward and achieve progress. Score then I'm on the right path... this came in the mail today.                                     0.o ------------->
Basically it's the welcome packet for the Stem Cell Transplant project going on at Northwestern University in Chicago! The next step is mine, now I have to write up a paper explaining my case history and I have to gather all my medical records and have them shipped off. After which I should hear something back in 2 to 4 weeks. I thought I'd take this time to give everyone a quick run through of what I will under go if I get approved for this treatment. Here's a quick run down from week 1 to week 8 or 9.

First off I want people to be clear that there are three different types of Stem Cell Transplants available. I will be undergoing what's called an Autologous Stem Cell Transplant if accepted this means that they will harvest my OWN stem cells from my body prior and then use my body to grow them back.

  • Week 1 - 2: Pre-transplant testing MRI, CT, blood test, and pulmonary function test.
  • Week 2 Friday: If approved I'll be admitted for overnight chemo and released the next day
  • Week 3: I'll be an staying in Chicago giving myself shots to promote the growth of my bodies stem cells and going in daily for blood work
  • Week 4: I'll go in and they will collect my bodies stem cells through Pheresis. It's a simple separation technique one I just went through recently only involving the plasma
  • Week 5: Rest I'll be allowed to fly back home and see my family :)
  • Week 6: Admission to get ready for the transplant. The first six days I'll get IV Fluid and the four after I'll get high dose chemo
  • Week 7: I'll receive my stem cells much like a blood transfusion
  • Week 8-9: I wait for my stem cells to regrow and reboot my entire body
Yep so that's the game plan. Sounds intense... um yea I won't lie I'm pretty scared. Hoping now that I'm out of the hospital that I can get all this paperwork out the door by the end of next week.

Here's to the next 6 months, one rocky road, my support system, and above all a God that won't give up on me! Stay tuned <3

No comments:

Post a Comment